Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How it is possible to leave my girls...


When I was asked to take on this trip to South Africa my first reaction was, "No way, I can't leave my girls for three weeks." After Marc and I talked it over (I think his words were, "Are you crazy?! This is Africa we're talking about!!") we decided it was more important that we show them that we are a family that takes (reasonable) risks, does exciting things and makes the most of the opportunities presented to us.

When I presented this trip to the girls, Ingrid - our map-loving, atlas-reading, but immunization-fearing world citizen - asked only, "How many shots do you have to get?" When I told her how many she shrugged off any idea of going with me and said, "Cool, will you bring me a penguin from Monkeybiz?" Monkeybiz makes beaded animals that are just beautiful (available in the Twin Cities at Bibelot stores!). The Monkeybiz story is more complex than this and I'll tell it to you after we go there, but I was just impressed that she remembered that I bought a Monkeybiz animal for my colleague (and founder of this study abroad program) Aaron and one for Marc last year.

Sophia - our soccer-loving, snuggle-buddy Mommy's Girl - said, "I am going to be lonely for you, Ma-ma." (And I just about canceled right there.) But then she asked if I could bring her a baby elephant. I told her I sure would bring her an elephant from Monkeybiz and she responded, "No, a real one. For a pet." It took some explaining but now she's settled on a beaded elephant.

However, as departure approaches their excitement has grown beyond what they will get out of the trip. Last night as I put Sophia to bed, I asked her as I always do what she was most thankful for. She said, "That you are going to Africa to bring those clothes to the kids and the mamas there." As I put Ingrid to bed I asked her what the best part of her day was, and she answered, "Helping you pack up those clothes for the kids in South Africa."

Wow. I know I was not this wise or big-hearted when I was in elementary school. Not sure if I am now.

So thank you all for your donations. They've been gifts on this side of the ocean too.

3 comments:

  1. Christen I am SO very excited for you to go! Remember to ask TONS of questions, take gobs of pictures, and have an amazing time. I can't wait to read up on your blog and talk to you when you get back- the reminders for me will be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christen, I can't believe today is the day your adventure begins! Funny where life takes us, isn't it? :)

    I will be following your blog religiously. I am so excited for you and students.

    AARON

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am teary eyed looking at this post. You have amazing children...I hope mine turn out so well! :)

    ReplyDelete